[Humor] Score: Bureaucrats Zero -- Beavers One

Jim C. Nasby decibel at decibel.org
Sat Apr 23 03:22:34 GMT 2005

Dear Mr. Price:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N, R10W, Sec 20; Montcalm County

Your certified letter dated 12/17/97 has been handed to me to respond to. You sent out a
great deal of carbon copies to a lot of people, but you neglected to include their addresses.
You will, therefore, have to send them a copy of my response.

First of all, Mr. Ryan DeVries is not the legal landowner and/or contractor at 2088 Dagget,
Pierson, Michigan - I am the legal owner and a couple of beavers are in the (State
unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the
outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, nor authorize, their dam project, I
think they would be highly offended you call their skillful use of natural building materials
"debris." I would like to challenge you to attempt to emulate their dam project any dam time
and/or any dam place you choose. I believe I can safely state there is no dam way you could
ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam
persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your dam request the beavers first must fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this
type of dam activity, my first dam question to you is: are you trying to discriminate against
my Spring Pond Beavers or do you require all dam beavers throughout this State to conform
to said dam request? If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, please
send me completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits. Perhaps we will
see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural
Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being
sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws annotated.

My first concern is - aren't the dam beavers entitled to dam legal representation? The Spring
Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said dam representation - so
the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer. The Department's dam concern that
either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event causing dam flooding is proof
we should leave the dam Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling
them dam names. If you want the dam stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition -
contact the dam beavers - but if you are going to arrest them (they obviously did not pay any
dam attention to your dam letter-being unable to read English) - be sure you read them their
dam Miranda rights first.

As for me, I am not going to cause more dam flooding or dam debris jams by interfering
with these dam builders. If you want to hurt these dam beavers - be aware I am sending a
copy of your dam letter and this response to PETA. If your dam Department seriously finds
all dams of this nature inherently hazardous and truly will not permit their existence in this
dam State - I seriously hope you are not selectively enforcing this dam policy, or once again
both I and the Spring Pond Beavers will scream prejudice!

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their dam unauthorized
dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green, and water flows downstream. They have
more dam right than I to live and enjoy Spring Pond. So, as far as I and the beavers are
concerned, this dam case can be referred for more dam elevated enforcement action now.
Why wait until 1/31/98? The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then, and there
will be no dam way for you or your dam staff to contact/harass them then. In conclusion, I
would like to bring to your attention a real environmental quality (health) problem: bears are
actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating
bears and leave the dam beavers alone. If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch
your step! (The bears are not careful where they dump!) Being unable to comply with your
dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending
this response to your dam office.

Sincerely,
Stephen L. Tvedten

---

[Ed. Note:  This is old (from 1997); but, for real.  See link below.]

    http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/dammed.htm